Hello again, all! It’s been a while since I have been able to check in but so many exciting things have been happening and I cannot wait to tell you all about it! First off: Happy Halloween! Happy Veteran’s Day! Happy Election Day! Happy Thanksgiving! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! – WHEW! – I just wanted to make sure I got all the “Happy’s” covered just in case things get crazy again!
I hope everyone had a spook-tacular Halloween and I saw a few of your costumes on the Facebook post from the American Coronet Pageants page! Great costumes, everyone! You all have been staying so active in your communities and that makes my heart so happy! It’s wonderful to see you all being a wave of change and helping so many people in need!
Now as we are in November, this month holds a very special place in my heart and special for my family. November is the awareness month of many important things such as Prematurity awareness month, Epilesy, No-Shave-vember, National Native American Heritage month and more! But one topic is special for us and that is National Adoption Awareness month. I am adopted from Mexico and because of one person self-less choice, I am alive today, have a loving family, and thriving – all because of the miracle of adoption.
Through my years in the pageant industry I have had families with adopted children cross my path. Some children passed through the foster care system, some adopted within the family, some with a closed background. No matter the case – it’s through the miracle of adoption that families are made complete, children find parents, and parents find a lost soul to love, nurture, and teach.
How can you help?
- Reach out to your local women and children’s shelter and donate much needed supplies.
- Contact foster care centers like CASA and see how you might be able to foster children or which supplies or aid they might need. Our local KAT alumnae chapter regularly donates gently used overnight bags, PJs, and gift cards at Christmas time.
- You can also talk about this at work, home, or school to just spread awareness and educate others on stats/data. Who knows whose life you might change just by having a conversation about fostering or adoption!
- November 9 was World Adoption Day and we celebrate this day by drawing a smiley face on your hand and post to social media. You can still celebrate by sharing your photo and using the hashtag #worldadoptionday!
So now I am curious to know what you are celebrating or raising awareness on for November? Comment below or share to social media and be sure to tag me so together we can celebrate each other’s journey’s, stories, and passions!
Thanks for reading!
– Erin Husbands, 2022 Mrs. American Coronet
Facebook: Erin Husbands
IG / Twitter: @erinhusbands